Powerful Tools for Caregivers
Caring for a family member or friend with a chronic condition can be physically, emotionally, and financially draining. This highly effective, evidence-based, self-care educational program for family caregivers, builds the skills caregivers need to take better care of themselves as they provide care for others. Caregiver participants learn to minimize the potentially negative impacts of caregiving while emphasizing self-care and empowerment. Class participants are given The Caregiver Helpbook to accompany the class and provide additional caregiver resources.
To Learn more about this program, watch this short overview video
Upcoming classes held via Zoom:
- Sep 11 – Oct 16, 2023 | Mondays | 1:30-3pm
- Oct 16 – Nov 20 | Mondays | 6 – 7:30pm
- Oct 23 – Nov 27 | Mondays | 1:30-3pm
Open to everyone, Y membership not required. These classes are available at NO CHARGE thanks to a generous sponsorship from Aging and Long Term Care of Eastern Washington (ALTCEW)
You may also email Mary Jo Kester, Healthy Living Program Coordinator, or call 509 777 9622 x4540
Powerful Tools for Caregivers one-time 90-minute Managing Stress Workshop
- Future workshop dates and times will be posted here when available.
In this introductory 90-minute session on how to manage caregiver stress, trained facilitators will help attendees explore stress management basics for themselves. This workshop is based upon the six-week Powerful Tools for Caregivers program, a self-care education program for family caregivers.
During this 90-minute workshop, attendees will learn how to:
- Identify signs and sources of stress
- Discover stress reducers
- Make an action plan
- Learn a relaxation technique
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a FREE program tailored to fit the specific needs of cancer survivors who would like to improve their quality of life. Our certified Lifestyle Coaches and personal trainers have undergone specialized training in the elements of cancer, rehabilitative exercise and supportive cancer care. Sessions are offered in a small group environment with exercise protocols customized for each individual.
Read news release showing significant gains for cancer survivor participants.
The LIVESTRONG® Foundation
There can – and should be – life after cancer for the more than 32.6 million people around the world affected by cancer. Creating connections for needed support, leveraging funding and resources to spur innovation, and engaging communities and leaders to drive social change, the foundation known for the iconic yellow wristband puts its mission in motion by inspiring and empowering those affected by cancer. For more information, visit LIVESTRONG.org.
This might be for you if…
- You are a survivor 18 years or older
- You have been medically cleared by your doctor to participate in a physical activity program. Our staff can provide support in obtaining an official medical clearance at the time of program entry but you are encouraged to discuss your interest in participation with your medical team before initiating a pre-registration interview.
- You have completed portions of treatment that could limit full participation, such as surgeries that require downtime for recovery, treatment protocols which require immune system protocols limiting contact with others, etc.
- You completed treatment years ago but did not previously get the help needed to reclaim your health either through spirit, mind or body, or all.
- You possess a strong personal desire and commitment to attend all classes. The commitment of the program requires twice-weekly meetings for 12 consecutive weeks.
- You give your permission for LIVESTRONG at the YMCA coaches to talk with your healthcare team, if needed
- You are physically able to participate in most of the activities
- You are willing to complete the required forms
Interested in participating in the LIVESTRONG program?
- Please watch the recording of our January 18, 2023 Virtual Orientation
Orientations are an opportunity for cancer survivors to learn about LIVESTRONG at the YMCA. Interested (or curious) survivors are encouraged to attend an orientation to learn about the program and determine whether it is a good fit and the right time for them to participate.
The Fall Session of LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA will run from Sep 11 – Dec 4, 2023, at the Central YMCA.
If you are interested in this session, please contact Mary Jo Kester, Community Health Programs Coordinator.
There’s never been a better time to invest in YOU! Join the YMCA’s Weight Loss Program.
The 12-week, Y Weight Loss Program is designed to help people seeking to be healthier, stronger, and more energetic versions of themselves (body, mind, and spirit) to achieve their goals by making small, modest changes to their daily behaviors, and forming sustainable habits. Each week participants will weigh in, be introduced to a new topic relevant to weight loss, discuss as a group successes/challenges/suggestions around the weekly topic, and develop goals for the upcoming week. Topics covered during the program include nutrition, physical activity, stress and sleep, positive psychology, goal setting, and sustainability. Ages 18+.
If you would like to learn strategies and build healthy sustainable habits that will positively change your relationship to your body, food, and movement, the YMCA’s Weight Loss Program may be for you. In-person and virtual classes are available but space is limited. Give yourself the gift of support and tools to live with greater joy and comfort in a healthier body, for life.
YMCA Weight Loss Program Orientation
Orientations are an opportunity to learn about the program and determine whether it is a good fit and the right time to participate. Interested in our next session of classes, beginning in September 2023? Please watch our Virtual Orientation from August 9.
Current Sessions: Sep 11 – Nov 29
- Coach Jessica’s class: Virtual via Zoom | Mondays | 11:30am – 12:30pm | REGISTER
- Coach Jenny’s class: Virtual via Zoom | Tuesdays | Noon – 1pm | REGISTER
- Coach Blayre’s class: In-person at Valley YMCA | Wednesdays | 10 – 11am | REGISTER
- Coach Nicole’s class: In-person at Central YMCA | Fridays | 6:15 – 7:15pm | REGISTER
Please watch our Virtual Orientation from August 9.
The YMCA Healthy Aging Community Cafés bring together those who are 55+ to engage in meaningful learning and sharing around topics relevant to individuals moving toward and through their golden years. The goal is to build spirit, mind, and body health such that all may thrive with greater purpose, connection, and well-being.
What is a Healthy Aging Community Café?
There will be a brief (15-20 min) topical introduction with ideas to frame the discussion and consider things in new ways. This will be followed by small group facilitated discussions where you will have the opportunity to share experiences and perspectives or simply listen to your peers as you feel comfortable. Following the small group discussions, we will come back together for an empowering full group wrap-up with relevant resource sharing and a look ahead to the next café.
All Community Cafés are FREE and hosted on Zoom. If you are new to Zoom and would like some assistance getting started, please note that on your registration form.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with memory loss, join us at the Central Spokane YMCA for coffee, social activities, and connection.
At the Dementia Café, persons living with Alzheimer’s or other dementias and their loved ones or companion will enjoy socializing in a relaxed setting. The focus will be on making connections. Friendships are created in an environment that is accepting and non-judgmental. Walk-ins are welcome but calling ahead is encouraged to ensure we share parking information.
- 3rd Friday of each month
- 2 – 3:30pm
- Central YMCA, 930 N Monroe, Spokane, WA 99201